Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Tue Jan 15, 2002  9:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advise on opening a music studio

I have interviewed at two such studios in my area
(although I decided teaching for someone else was not
for me) and have watched both of them grow at an
unbelievable rate. The first started out in a few
rooms and now has a brand-new 5,000 square foot
facility, employs about a dozen teachers - many
full-time, and has expanded to a staff of 3 on the
business end. It MUST be making money! The other is
now in a prime retail space with a full-time staff of
10 and its own recital hall!

There was a distinct difference between the two. The
one that was better-organized (and the more
profitable) has the philosophy of always approaching
things from the standpoint of being a business. Since
musicians as a whole are not always seen in this type
of "professional" manner as are lawyers, architects,
other professions, this is highly important. Even
though the subject taught is fun, business practices
still must be used. For example, this establishment
has a no make-up lesson policy. Just as for a lawyer,
doctor, etc., time is money.

Additionally, this establishment gave the staff
additional duties beyond teaching - curriculum
development, marketing, etc. to keep the business
growing. Since the establishment presented itself as
professional (from the published policies to the
immaculate surroundings - which were in an office
complex - to the employee attire), none of the clients
question the policies - they are simply accepted.
From what I have seen in comparing this to the other
(still successful, but not AS successful)music school,
this is the primary difference.

The other main thing I think is important is that both
schools offered group classes to young children. If
this is not your interest, you should find someone to
do it for you. They offered music making classes for
ages 3 and up as well as group piano, moving to
individual instrumental lessons and vocal ensembles as
the students reach elementary age. This is important,
of course, because this is the crop from which they
get their future private students.

Just a little advice from what I have seen and
observed, which has been enlightening to me, since I
hope to open such a school someday. Of course, you
have to start small, but that is no reason to
sacrifice having solid policies and a professional
attitude - and big plans!