Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 14, 2002  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] beatles,pop,rap michmash

In a message dated 01/14/2002 3:05:06 PM Central Standard Time,
lolipastor@a... writes:

<< I was referring to your misadventures in the midwest -- the fabulous opera
you were telling us about...I had my roommate in stitches over that one!!!>>

Ah, well, that was a CHICAGO gig, not a Wisconsin gig, so any "cheesy"
remarks from certain people can go south of the state border! :)

<< Sounds kind of like this musical, Zoro, that some local Houstonites wrote
a few years ago-- borrowing music from Bizet, Rossini, etc... the love theme
of the whole show was to Debussy's Clair de Lune. The words were:

"Oh moon, full of care, full of love and despair..."

it was pretty bad. But then I got to thinking... wasn't Kismet basically
the same premise? Some guys decided that they liked Borodin's music so they
set their own words to it and made a musical. Personally, I really like
Kismet -- but I bet some Borodin purists had a field day with it... >>

Well, I heard thru the grapevine that Chicago Symphony did something similar
for their Christmas program with music from CARMEN and the like... plus
people call the movie CARMEN JONES a classic, and the words in that seem
really weird to me, particularly the Habanera as "Dat's Love." Plus I HATE
the practice of writing words out in dialect, whatever the dialect. It's one
thing to instruct someone to speak/sing a text in dialect, but to spell it
out - literally - seems demeaning. "Ain-a dat good news" comes to mind, as
does, "Can't help lovin' dat man o'mine." I don't think it should be sung
with precise Anglo diction, but it just seems too simplistic to spell it
out.... JMO

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com