Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Sun Jan 13, 2002  5:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the PERFECT teacher

> Those of you who have ended your lessons with a teacher what did you say?
I have been wondering what I will say to my current teacher. Shall I tell
her why I am quitting lessons with her? Shall I make something up? I feel
terribly awkward about this.

I've ended lessons with two teachers, in my history with voice teachers.
To both I was very honest - neither teacher was I with for a very long time
so it wasn't so bad. I think teachers can sense tension in a relationship
generally - even if they wont' fully admit it, or even if it is not
confrontational... and I think in my case, both teachers kind of had an idea
what was coming. At the last lesson, I brought a small gift to one
teacher - but I've had friends who have mailed a thank you card after the
final lesson too, which I think is a nice gesture. I simply said that I
thought it was time I move on, thanked the teacher sincerely (and I was
sincere - b/c neither teacher was horrendous, although neither was totally
helping me), and even told both whom I would be working with in the future.
Just my experience. Let us know how it works out and good luck!

Fiona

emusic.com