Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Sat Jan 12, 2002  2:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] giving up the fags

Dear Leo,

Let me second the congratulations on your quitting cigarettes!! It would be
very difficult to predict what will happen to your range, but I suspect that
you may eventually pick up a high note or two. Over the next few months you
may notice increased pulmonary secretions. Smoking impairs the normal
mucocilliary action of the tracheo-bronchial mucosa. When the smoking stops
these little hair-like cellular appendages begin to move again, clearing all
the debris stored deep in the lungs during all those years of smoking. The
mucosal lining of your facial sinuses also becomes less thickened, possibly
allowing the sinuses to become more resonant. So, after awhile (like a full
year), I would hope that your voice "brightens" a bit and becomes more
clear. Of course, this all depends on your being able to stay clear of
cigarette smoke or other air pollutants.

GWendel, dT

emusic.com