Vocalist.org archive

From:  "S Owens" <shirleyowens@h...>
Date:  Fri Jan 11, 2002  5:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] finding a new teacher (again) Lamperti quote

Hello,

As a fellow student I thought I would pass this on. I have a teacher who is
wonderful in her knowledge but can be brutal in her assessment. Her
assessments are almost always correct. However, she can be incredibly
leveling to the ego. Because I want to learn about music I have learned and
I am learning to overlook the negatives and concentrate on the positives of
what I want to learn. So, I get results.

I believe the student teacher relationship is like all other relationships
at some point you have to overlook personality flaws and stay with the core
of the matter (learning how to sing). I stay with this teacher because of
what I learn though at times she can be hard to take on a personality level.
She is my 2nd teacher and I have every intention of staying with her
because of her vast knowledge.

Lamperti had a student once who boasted that he had studied with 9 teachers
and Lamperti's response that he had 8 too many teachers. Having too many
teachers can be damaging. I just thought I would add this in for the sake
of musical progress and understanding. Anyway, thanks for reading this and
I hope this helps in the wider spectrum of things.

so

16413 Re: finding a new teacher (again) Lamperti quotesopran@a...   Fri  1/11/2002
16419 Re: finding a new teacher (again) Lamperti quoteS Owens   Sat  1/12/2002
16445 Re: finding a new teacher (again) Lamperti quoteMargaret Harrison   Sat  1/12/2002

emusic.com