Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Jan 11, 2002  4:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Some Stuff I've Never Heard of: Menotti, Kapilow, Margoshes

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, tidwellchristy wrote:

> --- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
> wrote:
> >
> > and finally if there is any good baritone material in
> > "The Telephone" by Menotti.
> >

> I thought (but I might be thinking of the wrong piece--I'm sure
> someone will correct me if I am) that this work of Menotti's was for
> soprano only. (?)

I'll be the "someone" to disillusion you. THE TELEPHONE is a two person
opera. Lucy is generally a light lyric or coloratura soprano. Ben is
officially a baritone, though I've also heard the opera done with a
dramatic tenor as Ben. The main shortcoming of this opera, IMO, is its
lack of a contralto. :)

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
What lies behind us, and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

emusic.com