Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dr Colin D Reed <colin.reed@e...>
Date:  Tue May 16, 2000  4:19 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] PC?

>===== Original Message From vocalist-temporary@egroups.com =====
>
>Isn't it interesting that you and I have been part of this list for almost 6
>years, and we don't see it the same at all? I think we have had a huge
number
>of arguments on the list in that length of time, some more successful than
>others. I think the ones that have been less successful have been the ones
>that (1) were on subjects innapropriate to this list, or (2) were not engaged
>in by people who remembered to respect and be polite to one another.

Please don't think that I find the discussions unrewarding in any way. Many
of them have been fascinating and engaging. However, when they have
occasionally gone off list, I find that some contributors can be a lot more
honest, and not fear some of the backlash that is evident when arguments are
in the public domain. I feel that this shows that people hold back a lot of
their feelings when posting to the list at large. I also find that these
off-list discussions are more revealing, and often wish that they could be
this way on the whole list. Of course I realise that it is more difficult if
your every word is scrutinised by up to 800 people, rather than just the
person you may be replying to at the time. It would also be appropriate to
remain private if you were just asking "How do I get that Dr Diane to accept
my point of view?" ;-)

>I'm still having trouble understanding your reference to PC. Could you
>explain exactly how you see our behavior as being politically correct? I
>think the term PC gets thrown around a lot, but I think we are not always
clear
>on what it really means. Help me out here, please.

I'll have to do some archive searching to find some appropriate examples. One
that immediately springs to mind is the use of the term G*d, when other names
for deities have been spelled out correctly. I have no problem in referring
to God,(would I get stoned by bearded ladies if I said "Jehovah"?), but I do
recall that it did start a discussion a while back. I have to go away for a
while on business, but I shall do a search of the archives for examples when I
have time next week.

> |\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
> | 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
>() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

Best wishes

Colin