Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  7:25 pm
Subject:  re: finding a teacher (was lullaby)

Lea Ann wrote:

>>when I left I felt really brushed under the rug, I NEED to find another
>>mezzo teacher in my area I think...I could kick myself for saying to
>>her, "You know mezzos try harder" why should I apologize all the time for
>>my range? She has tried to convince me that all the natural dark
>>qualities of my voice should be taken out, which I find really hard to
>>do. Argh....I am totally frustrated I am not sure if she a wonderful
>>teacher and I am a jerk or if I am doing really well and she is the
>>jerk.<<

Maybe neither. Not every teacher is a good fit for every student, and it
seems like you are in a situation that is not giving you what you want.
You have some choices. You can address it directly with your current
teacher, saying that you sense you are not connecting as well as you could.
You can look for a new teacher. You can take a little break, work on your
own, and then try again with this teacher.

>>OH and one more thing...is it strange that she has no idea who Renee
>>Fleming is or who Cecilia Bartoli is? I said I loved Renee's Babbino
>>Caro because of the way she floated all her high notes, and she said she
>>had no idea who Renee Fleming was. She said she would rather sing
>>herself than listen to anyone else sing. She has had the lead in two
>>Menotti operas, I know she was an adjunct faculty member teaching vocal
>>music at my local university, I have heard other people in my town
>>mention she is a good teacher so what gives?<<

She doesn't sound like she's particularly up on the professional world,
which might be because her focus is on her high-school students, whose
needs are very different from your own. It definitely sounds like you are
not getting the kind of thing you're expecting from a teacher. It might be
worthwhile to call around and sing for several different teachers and see
what they hear. You might find you click with one, and then your problem
is solved. If you don't, keep trying, keep asking them for referrals and
information. Your post below makes it sound as though you are interested
in pursuing opera as a career. If that's indeed the case, you'll want to
find a situation that isn't just "ok" but "dynamite"!

>>So it does indeed look like I need to fine someone else to teach me....I
>>think it's important to work with someone who at very least cares about
>>your progress and is interested in helping you work toward goals...and
>>perhaps inform you of opportunities.<<

Yes, I think we have the right to expect this of our teachers. We also
have the right to ASK for it; they can't read our minds! Some teachers
tend to focus on singing issues and leave the career-pursuit stuff to the
individual's motivation. But there's no harm in asking the teacher to keep
you informed of opportunities that are appropriate for your level of
accomplishment.

Good luck!
Naomi

emusic.com