Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  6:58 pm
Subject:  Twinkies

I was going to put this as off-topic, but it does
relate to singing in a way. Caio asked what a twinkie
was a few days ago, and no one responded to his
misunderstanding of the term, so here's the
definition: It's the brand-name (not a slang term) of
a sausage-shaped, spongy white cake with a cream
filling, very high on sugar and fat content and the
reason the term "junk food" was created.

How does this relate to singing? I can't count the
number of times I've been translating a song or aria
and had difficulty either figuring out which
definition of a particular word to use, or not been
able to find a definition that seems to fit at all,
only to discover that the correct definition wasn't in
the dictionary at all. So although I don't want to get
involved in the heated discussion that's been going
on, I do relate to an ESL (that's English as a second
language)/non-North American poster's frustration at
not being able to get the right meaning.

Jennifer, who's interpretation of several arias has
changed after realizing the translation of a single
important word was wrong

16382 Re: Twinkiesbuzzcen@a...   Thu  1/10/2002
16386 Re: TwinkiesKaren Mercedes   Thu  1/10/2002
16388 Re: Twinkiesbuzzcen@a...   Thu  1/10/2002
16841 Re: TwinkiesCaio Rossi   Fri  1/25/2002

emusic.com