Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullaby

Lea Ann wrote:

<< The next weird thing that made me feel funny happened
when I said I wanted to sing O mio Babbino Caro, but that I
needed it in F instead of A flat, she treated it as if the F
were pathetic, she said I guess they have to continue to
publish the F version because so much of the public can't
get the A flat. >>

This paragraph confuses me. Arias typically are published
only in the key in which they are sung in the opera. There
are some exceptions, e.g., the soprano and mezzo versions of
"Una voce poco fa" from Barber of Seville. So I would never
recommend any singer audition with an alternate key version
of an aria like "O mio babbino caro".

<<OH and one more thing...is it strange that she has no idea
who Renee Fleming is or who Cecilia Bartoli is? I said I
loved Renee's Babbino Caro because of the way she floated
all her high notes, and she said she had no idea who Renee
Fleming was. She said she would rather sing herself than
listen to anyone else sing. She has had the lead in two
Menotti operas, I know she was an adjunct faculty member
teaching vocal music at my local university, I have heard
other people in my town mention she is a good teacher so
what gives? >>

I guess it would be strange for a teacher who trained opera
singers. But it sounds like she focuses mostly on popular
music - is that correct?

I don't agree with your teacher about listening to singers.
I think listening to a wide variety of singers in many
genres is an excellent think for a singer to do. It gives
you ideas, about artistic choices as well as vocal
production. However, I wouldn't encourage a student to copy
a particular singer, except perhaps as an exercise in what's
possible.

In any event, you aren't happy with this teacher, you don't
trust her, so it's tiime for a new teacher. Accept that she
may be good for other students, but not for you, and find
someone who's good for you. (It so happens my teacher much
prefers working with older students and doesn't enjoy
working with high-school-age singers. Your teacher may well
be her mirror image!)

Good luck!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16385 Re: lullabyKaren Mercedes   Thu  1/10/2002
16389 Re: lullabyLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/10/2002

emusic.com