Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  1:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullaby

about Menotti's Lullaby, Thank you for the information, I am not sure I really
like it..I will have to hear it a few more times. I am thinking strongly about
seeking another teacher...it seems that my teacher is really only enthusiastic
about her high school students and going to "contest" I feel like sort of an
after thought. I had my first lesson of the new year yesterday and I told my
teacher that I was thinking about trying to get into the vocal music program at
KU (University of Kansas) and I told her that acceptance was through audition
She made a funny face when I said this...a "that would be very tough for you
face". And I picked up on her meaning and said, I know the majority of people
auditioning are young kids right out of highschool so how hard hard could it be?
And she said "you'd be surprised" I didn't know what to say really, I said well,
I think I'd like to get into the vocal program, and she said we will work toward
that.

The next weird thing that made me feel funny happened when I said I wanted to
sing O mio Babbino Caro, but that I needed it in F instead of A flat, she
treated it as if the F were pathetic, she said I guess they have to continue to
publish the F version because so much of the public can't get the A flat.
Again, I felt pretty stupid, it's clear to me she really likes sopranos..she is
always mentioning some wonderful high school soprano she is working with.

During the lesson she has nothing really nice to say, aside from the occasional
"better, or right" and during warming up she stopped for 3 minutes to talk about
how she though of me the other day when she was searching for sheet music on the
net. I had already shaved of about 3 minutes from my time while waiting for her
to finish up with another highschool student, and now 3 more minutes were gone
from a 30 minute lesson.

when I left I felt really brushed under the rug, I NEED to find another mezzo
teacher in my area I think...I could kick myself for saying to her, "You know
mezzos try harder" why should I apologize all the time for my range? She has
tried to convince me that all the natural dark qualities of my voice should be
taken out, which I find really hard to do. Argh....I am totally frustrated I am
not sure if she a wonderful teacher and I am a jerk or if I am doing really well
and she is the jerk.

OH and one more thing...is it strange that she has no idea who Renee Fleming is
or who Cecilia Bartoli is? I said I loved Renee's Babbino Caro because of the
way she floated all her high notes, and she said she had no idea who Renee
Fleming was. She said she would rather sing herself than listen to anyone else
sing. She has had the lead in two Menotti operas, I know she was an adjunct
faculty member teaching vocal music at my local university, I have heard other
people in my town mention she is a good teacher so what gives?

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16366 Re: lullabyJohn Link   Thu  1/10/2002
16367 Re: lullabyKaren Mercedes   Thu  1/10/2002
16430 Re: lullabyJennifer Sherley   Sat  1/12/2002

emusic.com