Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  12:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] lullaby

In a message dated 01/10/2002 6:47:19 AM Central Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

<< my voice teacher suggested a piece to me yesterday from a modern
opera...and for the life of me I cannot remember the composer...the piece she
recommended was Lullaby. Can someone help me out? >>

It's a contralto piece called Lullaby from Menotti's THE CONSUL. Although I
just heard it sung by Angelika Kirschlager on her CD of lullaby-like tunes
dedicated to her infant song. She's a lyric mezzo, and it sounded just fine
-- instead of taking the low F3 at the end, she takes the optional A3. (Hope
I got my numbers right.) It's in the mezzo aria book published by Hal
Leonard.

In fact, it's on the WSMA contest list (solo-ensemble) and for years I
thought, "I would never assign it to a HS girl! What are these people
thinking?" Well, after hearing AK sing it, I realized that I have a very
talented girl with a broad range and a lot of expressiveness who likes to
sing something no one else will be doing, so she's singing it! I'm starting
to learn it myself for auditions (with the low A), although I don't know if
anyone would actually hire a lyric mezzo to do the role (as often as that
show is done.)

Good luck with it.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com