Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  12:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] beatles,pop,rap michmash

In a message dated 01/10/2002 2:04:59 AM Central Standard Time,
lolipastor@a... writes:

<< My spell checker must think that I have a serious relationship with
someone named Emil, but that I am continuously unable to spell his name
correctly. >>

Hey, with that in mind, I just did a little pickup show for the Lyric Opera
of Chicago Guild North Shore written by one of its members.... it was a world
premiere called "E-mail and the Net Visitors," and the lead character was
"Emil." We had to sing really interesting lyrics to various opera tunes. I
was Balthazar, the cyber-whore. I sang, to the tune of Habanera, "I'm a lady
who works quite late, I put in overtime on every date...." and in the chorus,
"The more they pay, the more I play." (Yes, this WAS a Christmas show.) All
I can say is, it came up last minute, I accepted it over the phone without
looking at the score, and they paid me pretty well for one rehearsal and one
performance. My biggest fear was that the audience would be horrified and my
name would forever be associated with this mishmash (which, btw, was the name
of a 5th grade teacher at my elementary school, seriously ... Mr. Mishmash).
Well, the writer was a beloved member of the group, and they'd all had
cocktails beforehand and wine with dinner, the four singers sang well and
acted well with what we had, and they loved it. Go figure. (Value vs.
taste?) I loved the fact that I had more money to pay Christmas bills and
that I got to wear my black velvet strapless dress and red feather boa.

Oh, and Emil was a soprano singing to the tune of "O mio babbino caro,"

"Oh gosh oh gee what sorrow -- things have never been worse,
I can't believe tomorrow - my mom and pop will divorce...."

and to "Batti, batti,"

"Daddy, daddy, gee, I blew it, all my plans have gone kablooey."

She got the good sport award for that day. None of us had to rhyme kablooey
(let alone sing it) with chop suey....

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com