Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dr Colin D Reed <colin.reed@e...>
Date:  Tue May 16, 2000  1:48 pm
Subject:  In defence of

>===== Original Message From vocalist-temporary@egroups.com =====
>natural@w..., i am getting annoyed by your argumentative posts and
>failure to even put your name to them, which shows cowardice and a lack of
>courtesy. who the ____ are you, anyway?
>
>Merry

Hey, this is a discussion group, and occasionally discussions get
argumentative. They have got argumentative before, and will do again. I saw
nothing at all wrong in the posts from natural@w... (although a name would
be nice). They represented a point of view in a strongly argued manner. This
could be that I happen to agree in the questioning of sources, whether people
consider them standard or not. Certainly, the fact that something makes it
into print should not add weight to the argument that it is true. Just try
comparing Seth Riggs "Singing for the Stars" and Richard Miller "The Structure
of Singing" to see two texts in print with quite different viewpoints.

If I have ever had one criticism of vocalist it has been the tendency towards
PC. It is so much more interesting when people let their hair down a bit
more.

On the point of the latin, I agree with Dean. Everyone thinks that they're
right in this question (and I've sung under many different directors). Best
to go along with who's in charge at that particular time. Especially if you
want to get asked back!

Regards

Colin

Colin Reed, Tenor