Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Thu Jan 10, 2002  1:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] SINGERS AND MUSICIANS

Luara:

> Second of all, the recordings are all about the soloist. The other
> musicians are there (generally speaking) to make that artist sound their
> absolute best. Therefore I feel that it's perfectly appropriate to
> credit the CD with the star artist.

Yeah, that only means they accepted that, but I'm still not so sure it's fair.

> Ummm, I also will still take offense to the categorizations of "Singers"
> vs. "Musicians". They are one and the same in most instances now - at
> least in the classical world. It used to be funny back in high school.
> It's just sad now. And for me to take offense to something says a lot
> because I just don't take offense to things. Maybe it's because I
> started out as one of the "musicians" since I was a violinist most of my
> life and then switched to singing. But I'm meeting more and more
> "singers" who are darn fine "musicians" as well, so I'm really tired of
> this sterotype.

Mostly here on Vocalist, where people are from different parts of the world, I
don't think that can be an issue. I differentiated musicians from singers
because that's what we generally do here in Brazil. I've just looked that up in
a Portuguese dictionary ( Aurélio ) and, to my surprise, it says a person who
sings is also a "músico". Funny, since it's not "real language". My American
Heritage shows two definitions, the first one reads "a person who composes or
PERFORMS music", what pleases you profoundly, and the second one "a performes
esp. of instrumental music".

My Collins Cobuild, which is based on the corpus ( that is, reflects the
language as it's actually used ) of the University of Birmingham says "a person
who plays a musical instrument as their job or hobby". Cambridge Intl Dictionary
of English, built around the Cambridge Language Survey Corpus, reads "someone
who is skilled at playing music, usually as their job" and gives the following
example: "The concert features dancers, singers and musicians of all
nationalities".

So... then, you native speakers enter into agreement and then I'll worry about
that.

Thanks for the input,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16353 Re: SINGERS AND MUSICIANSLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/10/2002

emusic.com