Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Tue May 16, 2000  1:36 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Re: "s" in Jesus

Of course Dean is right. We always listen when the director speaks. And I
understand that all the native speakers of Latin are beyond asking so we
might as well accept that there will be different traditions, each as
strongly maintained and supported as the next in different contexts or
countries. I do hope I haven't started a Latin war because Vocalist veterans
will remember how the last one turned out. The archives are up and running I
believe, so anyone interested can look up how the last discussion
progressed.

But for my pride's sake, please let me clarify. I would never have
challenged the director. I was singing a solo at a different service!
Coincidently, the chancel choir in which I sing was singing the same text as
an anthem. The director corrected us in the anthem rehearsal leading me to
doubt my own conviction and personal taste as far as my solo was concerned.
That is why I posted the question in the first place. I had simply never
heard of that pronunciation, and as far as I'm concerned, this director is a
choral g*d, so what he says is worth looking into.

The best part is, after all this I remain convinced that the more I learn,
the less I know that I know. What fun to be sentenced to a lifetime of
learning!

Thanks again everyone,

Laura Sharp