Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  2:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] beatles,pop,rap michmash (plus: moderating)

In a message dated 1/9/2002 7:58:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, dredeman@w...
writes:

<< However, in virtuality, avoiding those people is
quite difficult. >>

actually dre, it is as easy as deleting their posts and, this can be done
anonymously.

<< In the past we discussed moderation, and most of us were not for it, so
we don’t have moderation. However, continuing without moderation is only
possible if everybody on this list (but some people more than others)
would think twice or trice before sending a mail.

i am vehemently opposed to censorship ('moderation' being the polite form
of 'censorship'). as much as i detest the occasional pop up, whining post
from some disgruntled lurker, i would not even agree to censoring them. my
reasoning is this: what makes 'vocalist-temporary' valuable is its inclusion
of a wide variety of opinions, even opinions that disgust us. we learn very
little from those who agree with us. we learn far more from those who
disagree with us, even if we never agree with them. by engaging in debate,
we are forced to re-examine our own stance and, it is in the re-examination
that we learn something new.

the thread 'celebrity and mortality' has generated more interest and
passionate discourse, from more corners of our group, than any other subject
in recent memory. though some who have engaged in the discussion have
gotten very upset, they have remained engaged and, i can only conclude that
this is their choice and, ultimately, they may be very glad to have that
choice available to them. and yes, it is a choice. there is always the
option to delete.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16359 Re: beatles,pop,rap michmash (plus: moderating)Ingo Duckerschein   Thu  1/10/2002

emusic.com