Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  2:05 pm
Subject:  Value... AND SINGING WAS: Digest Number 974

DON'T WORRY, LIST, I'M REDIRECTING THIS DISCUSSION INTO A SINGING TOPIC.

Caio:> >Of course, and I'm not the one who started questioning taste here. What
was
> most important in that article, and >I believe that point has been missed by
> those who have commented on it, is questioning what makes a >celebrity. What
> merits, MUSICALLY SPEAKING, do the Beatles and Harrison in particular hold
> in order to >justify all that appreciation ( and such reactions to articles
> questioning that )? The point is VALUE, not taste.

Mirko:

> If you believe in VALUE over taste, then you must believe that there is some
> ultimate truth out there, and that there is some *scale* to which we can
> judge everything.
> Give me taste over value anytime.

So you must be against any legal system, and you must think there's nothing
wrong about destroying the WTC and the lives in there. How could you judge bin
Laden or the guy who's into raping your mother and having fun with your
10-year-old brother as if he were a Californian kind of "twinkie"?

They're not wrong, it's just their "taste", isn't it?

The scale necessary to measure value is how far the culture you belong to has
gone. That scale is definitely not valid for Australian Aboriginals who haven't
been "westernized", but they're surely valid for you, Mirko ( I'm sorry, you'll
be punished if you dare to become a terrorist! ). After Bach, for instance, pop
music is crap. And I love pop music, that is, I love crap and won't stop doing
that just because I know Bach is superior. His music is the summit of centuries
of the human effort to understand the musical language, and that superiority is
valid for everyone who has some understanding of music, as well as Champolion's
translation of Egyptian hieroglyphs is superior to any previous attempt to
decipher them. It's not a matter of taste, but of FACT.

NOW, BRINGING THAT INTO THE SINGING ARENA: opera singing is the result of
centuries of the human effort into understanding how to bring the voice into its
highest performance ( overtone richness and balance, endurance, healthy
techniques, etc ). It's true that pop singing has different references, but for
it to be done properly by those who are not natural-born singers it still has to
adapt all the knowledge developed for opera singing ( and that's basically what
SLSers, who are so successful among American pop singers, keep saying: they have
adjusted Belcanto for the pop singing needs, so someone did the hard work for
them first ).

It's, again, not a matter of taste, but of FACT. That doesn't mean you must like
opera more than pop music ( I myself can't stand more than half a dozen arias...
but not any of Beatles' song... hehe ), but that as a civilized person you must
attribute things their "value" according to how far the culture you've been
exposed to has gone.

Well, but if you can't agree with me just because you're against rights and
wrongs, take some time and reflect on how you can say I'm wrong if you don't
believe in rights and wrongs?! It's contradictory, and civilization depends on
people accepting as a FACT that the ROUND wheel was a big step ( and also a
"ride" ) forward.

Best regards,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16339 Re: Value... AND SINGING WAS: Digest Number 974thomas mark montgomery   Wed  1/9/2002

emusic.com