Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  1:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

I'm still trying to understand the misuse of the word "elitist" when it
comes to taste and value judgements. Particularly because I suspect that,
if I were to make the statement "Opera is better than rap", I would be
accused by these misusers of the language of being "elitist", but if I were
to state that "Rap is better than opera", I would be applauded by the same
misusers of the language.

Isn't the perception of "elitism" just as subjective - and thus
unjustifiable - as the "elitism" being decried? One man's "elite" is
another man's circle of friends, after all.

Karen Mercedes

emusic.com