Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  11:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

I wrote:

> So when you say that you DETEST them I am puzzled.

and Caio replied:

>I'm re-reading a book by a famous Brazilian journalist, late Paulo
>Francis, and he presents two reasons why to detest them. I'll
>translate them:
>
>"All the Beatles hated Brian Epstein, and he despised them for being
>too noisy. But the Beatles and Epstein saw together the chance to
>get rich. The Beatles knew they were selling themselves out to
>promote the "family entertainment" alternative to the much more
>authentic and dangerous ( to the bourgeoisie ) fury of the Rolling
>Stones."

I'm curious how Francis supports his claims about the Beatles'
relationship with Brian Epstein and the selling out.

>"Another day, at the movies, I listened to the whole of "Help" for
>the first time. Is it conceivable that someone would compose such a
>thing at Mozart's time?

And what about the other way around? Is it conceivable that someone
would compose such a thing as many (any?) of Mozart's compositions
today? That person would starve to death. So what?

I wrote:

> >I think I would have a hard time finding a group whose music I detested
> > (I would save such a strong word for someone like Robert Gallo). So
>> what is it that you detest?

and Caio replied:

>Probably everything that you like! But, AGAIN, THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

But it IS what interests me in this discussion.

All the best,
John Link

P.S. Unlike others who have posted in this discussion, I still find
Caio to be presenting his ideas in a way that is neither hostile nor
insulting. Anyway I find myself provoked to neither hostility nor
insult.

Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)