Vocalist.org archive

From:  "tidwellchristy" <tidwellc@e...>
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  10:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 Greypins@a... wrote:
>

> But I'd rather have someone express themselves clearly
> and succinctly as in: "Opera is better than rap" than to constantly
assail
> me with excess "qualifiers" and "apologetics" - i.e., "In my humble
> opinion opera, to me, appears to be better than rap". Who the hell
wants
> to know a person who is so wishy-washy that they express all of
their
> opinons like that? Not me!

But rather than saying "Opera is better than rap" OR "In my humble
opinion, etc." (which statements do, whether strongly or wishy-
washily, buy into hierarchical value judgments), one could say
simply "Opera is different from rap" and/or "I prefer opera to rap."
This makes it a differentiatiation rather than a value judgment in
the first case and a stated personal preference rather than an
absolute truth. Clarity need not be thrown out the window along with
elitist value judgments.

Christy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16307 Re: Celebrity and MortalityKaren Mercedes   Wed  1/9/2002

emusic.com