Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  1:11 pm
Subject:  Re: Jumping in Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

> <<What merits, MUSICALLY SPEAKING, do the Beatles and Harrison in particular
> hold in order to justify all that appreciation ( and such reactions to
> articles questioning that )? The point is VALUE, not taste.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Caio Rossi

Terry:

> Hmm. How about what affect music has on an individual? For myself, and
> apparently many, many others, the BEATLES' music had a definite impact
> emotionally. Their music made us laugh, cry, scream, and in some cases
> faint. Okay, admittedly, some of that was hype. However, someone somewhere
> was affected in some way by the sounds coming from their bodies (vocals) and
> their instruments.
>
> Think about it. One woman speaks with an enticing voice and asks for a
> treasure of sorts. Another woman demands it the same treasure in a
> screeching voice. They use the same words but different voice patterns.
> Sound definitely has an effect on us all, one way or another.
>
> The one likes a performer/group and another doesn't is simply matter of
> opinion. Since not one of us is perfect, saying that someone doesn't deserve
> the adulation they receive because of imperfections would imply that no one
> should be adored.

I think you explained, not justified that appreciation. And I'm here wondering
if that wouldn't apply to the Backstreet Boys ( and all the boys bands, which
the Beatles were the beta-version for ), Madonna, Michael Jackson, Eminem,
Celine Dion, etc. Or Star Trek and Buffy ( which I enjoy very much ), when
compared to Woody Allen, Days of our Lives to Discovery Channel, etc.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com