Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  3:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

In a message dated 1/7/2002 5:26:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, Axwell@a...
writes:

> ...The performer today selling all the records is Bocelli....It is so easy
> to critisize the faults of performers....so difficult to emulate their good
> points...The public is not stupid....Another singer who comes under
> criticism from "professional student

Although I can't agree with you that the public is not stupid, I do agree
with you completely about the ease of criticism. The bottom line is, anyone
who becomes a star, (even Britney Spears, my own personal favorite target) is
the possessor of that special something, that essence that is known as "star
quality". Star quality is an extremely rare commodity, and it can transcend
technical deficiencies brilliantly. Maria Callas is a perfect example. So,
someone who has that star quality, but suffers from some deficiency (and,
let's face that fact, too; all of us would, when put under the intense
scrutiny these people are under) becomes cannon fodder for the frustrations
of the struggling and as-yet-undiscovered artists. They focus on the
deficiencies rather than the fact that this individual apparently has
something to offer, and is successfully offering it to millions. (Or else
none of us would have heard of them.) I believe it makes all of those who
complain feel a little vindication.
TinaO

emusic.com