Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Mon Jan 7, 2002  10:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

Me:

> << I don't see how to "clap clap clap clap"someone who was caught STEALING
> someone else's work, but that's, again, "out-of-sync personal references" I
> guess.

Christine:

> You missed the point. I "clap clapped" for Karen's response. Harrison wrote
> a lot of original stuff beyond MY SWEET LORD and I appreciate his
> musicianship. There are a lot of composers who have used existing material
> - The Baltimore Choral Arts Society did a concert a few years ago called
> "Handel's coming, hide the silver!" which featured music appropriated by GFH.
> Lloyd Webber took "Music from the night" right out of the love duet from LA
> FANCIULLA DEL WEST.

Do you mean it's OK to steal things just because others have done that too??
But,. anyway, have that arts society and Webber paid copyrights and given the
proper credit?

> I'm not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me. Shall we
> just agree to disagree? Just because I like the Beatles and you don't
> doesn't mean that one of us is right or that one of us is narrow-minded,
> mean-spirited or hostile. It doesn't mean that at all. We just have a
> difference of opinion.

Of course, and I'm not the one who started questioning taste here. What was most
important in that article, and I believe that point has been missed by those who
have commented on it, is questioning what makes a celebrity. What merits,
MUSICALLY SPEAKING, do the Beatles and Harrison in particular hold in order to
justify all that appreciation ( and such reactions to articles questioning that
)? The point is VALUE, not taste.

Best wishes,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com