Vocalist.org archive

From:  "takooda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Jan 7, 2002  6:59 pm
Subject:  Re: Countertenors

Mezzoid@a... wrote:
> Daniels sings like no other countertenor I've heard.
> It's a big, masculine perfectly controlled voice that
> happens to be very
> high. There's not a whiff of falsetto about it."
>
> I'm sorry, I listened to my David Daniels CD and as much
> as I enjoy his singing, I can't understand HOW he arrived
> at this ....

Dear Christine,

It just requires a gender-ideology-reorientation, I think ;-)

If one associates chestiness with masculinity, Daniels is not very
masculine. I think he sounds different from a woman, though, which is
probably what this reviewer is saying. The same cannot be said for
some of the more feminine-sounding countertenors out there, such as
Mera or Asawa. As for the falsetto comment, I imagine he associates
the word (as I do) with a chalky Anglo-choral sound associated with
incomplete closure of the vocal folds.

Baroque sensibilities were different from Verismo opera - the
castrati were given the most heroic roles, whereas tenors and basses
were given character roles. As with all aesthetic values, one has to
allow oneself to be lost in the illusion of context...

Tako

emusic.com