Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Mon Jan 7, 2002  2:38 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Chronic recurrent swollen infected tonsils affecting my voice?

To the best of my knowledge, tonsillitis is not treated with laser or
microwave. If the tonsils need to be removed, they are removed
surgically.

Laser treatment of obstructive sleep apnea is different - the soft
palate is burned away. The tonsils would respond differently and I
doubt it would be acceptable to treat them with current laser
technology. If there is a doctor offering this type of procedure, be
sure to ask about FDA approval for the technique and how many the doctor
has done and what long term complications can occur.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com