Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Virginija Bruozis Muliolis" <virginia@m...>
Date:  Sun Jan 6, 2002  8:57 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] re: Raised larynx, Crowded throat

Dear Sharon and Naomi-

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer and provide some really neat
ideas. It's really neat to bounce ideas off each other and find solutions to
these problems in creative ways. Just like there is more than one way to
skin a cat (no disrespect intended to our feline friends! :)), there's
definitely got to be more than one way to explain elements of vocal
technique and still get the desired result.....
Isn't it funny how some explanations "click" for some and not for others..
hence the reason for my original posting. It became apparent that she was
working really hard to "get" the concepts and being disappointed when she
wasn't successful- the dreaded cycle of self-sabotage.
I have reminded her often about the benefit of constant repetition and the
virtue of patience. It took her more than 4 months (time with me) to ingrain
these habits, so it should not be a total surprise that new ones take a lot
of time to become a part of you. Fighting muscle memory is a bear, and it
often seems to get worse before one senses an improvement. Yep, we've talked
about this a lot.
It became obvious she was "trying" too hard to make things happen rather
than letting them happen, and no doubt getting out of the way of oneself
would be a useful exercise.

Interestingly enough, we've done several of the wonderful exercises you've
both suggested, esp. the hooty owl/siren, and speaking short elongated
phrases "up there" to give her a better idea of head voice ... but you've
both given me some other great ideas of how to go about helping her solve
this problem which is indeed SOLVABLE!!

Thanks once again for your thoughts and encouragement-

Virginia

emusic.com