Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Sat Jan 5, 2002  8:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] different length

I am also very curious about the case of the alleged
fantastic vocal folds. :) The initial posting by Dré
referred to the length of the vocal folds as an
influence on range. I'm trying to understand how two
vocal folds of differing lengths could contribute to a
wide range. The basic mechanism for changing pitch as
currently accepted involves movement (rotation and
sliding) between the thyroid and cricothyroid
cartilages to stretch the vocal folds thereby raising
the fundamental frequency. Therefore, Titze proposes
that a large space between the two (as can be felt on
the front of your neck) should grant you the
capability to really pull on those suckers.
(According to Titze's modeling, you can also change
pitch by tensing the TA muscle, but only within the
modal register...this model may soon come under fire
from a current doctoral student who is plotting her
attack!:))

On the other hand, it is very common for the vocal
folds to meet asymmetrically over the midline. That
is, the arytenoid cartilages (the nobbies at the back)
list to one side instead of meeting right in the
middle. This is very common among perfectly
functioning voices, even among trained singers. In
this way, the vocal folds may be of differing lengths
in that one is stretched further than the other, but
to no perceptual or spectral affect.

Regarding influence on timbre, Dre writes:
a set of
of vocal chords that are harmonically assymetric,
could be the means to
produce both a strong basic tone and a beautiful
spectrum of higher
harmonics

My study of acoustics is quite basic, but I've never
come across this concept before that the folds could
vibrate so as to produce a hybrid spectrum. I'm
certain that her beautiful timbre (I trust, as I
haven't checked out the posted file) is due to the
fortunate characteristics of her vocal tract.

Based on Karneus' report alone, I suspect that she
misunderstood what was going on during that
examination or that the laryngologist has an imperfect
knowledge of phonation. I'd really like to hear
directly from that doctor...or scope those vocal folds
myself.

-Jennifer