Vocalist.org archive

From:  Fiona Chow <fionat@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 4, 2002  6:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Some tips on dealing with an audience please!: Toastmasters

This is a good discussion. I think much depends on the size of the
audience - if the audience is really large and the recital is more formal,
the speaking might be more brief, pre-thought out things to maybe
summarize an aria or what have you. I've done a few smaller things with
40-100 people or so present and it seems a lot easier to talk to the
audience. i don't feel things have to be so formal, neither do I feel
there is a large space separating me from everyone else.

I used to get really nervous talking and still am not terrible
comfortable. I guess the key is to do it lots, and it does help if you
are prepared and have thought things out and gone over your talking in
your head, or even out loud for someone else to hear you....

I know this might sound strange, but in art song recitals, I
have experimented recently in having my PIANIST do some of the talking. I
really like this - I only do it with a pianist who is comfortable talking,
and most of those whom I work with are good friends of mine, so we sort of
talk about it ahead of time and spend time working out the talking bit. I
think art song is a much more shared venture though, and therefore, I
think it's appropriate to have the pianist say stuff too. Sometimes this
might be "in character," or sometimes it is merely information about the
song, or about circumstances pertaining to the song (eg. an interesting
fact about the composer when the song was written).

I like to be creative with the talking issue - sometimes I talk, and
sometimes I don't feel the need to if the rep is more familiar and the
audience is one who probably knows it, or sometimes have the pianist
speak. I never want to feel stuck in any ruts - and being creative is
part of being a singer too!

Fiona

emusic.com