Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Fri Jan 4, 2002  5:46 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] different length vocal folds

Dear GWendel and Vocalister:

You wrote:
>Does all of this presume that we fully understand exactly how a chord
>actually generates a soundwave? Is the waveform parallel to the entire
>length of the chord with each chord vibrating in perfect synchrony to
>generate a pitch. Or are there one (or more) nodes in the vibration
>pattern? Or is the wave generated in the apposing surfaces of the chords
>(in which case chordal symmetry would seem to be to be of little
>significance)? Or is the wave form even perpendicular to the chords and
>generated at several contact points between apposing surfaces?

Check the writing of Ingo Titze in his book "Principles of Vocal
Production" or in his articles in various professional journals such
as the NATS Journal of Singing to discover the nature of vocal fold
oscillation during phonation. The movement of the vocal folds is
pretty well known.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice and Vocal Pedagogy, Emeritus

emusic.com