Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Fri Jan 4, 2002  3:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

At 06:45 PM 1/3/02 -0700, Lloyd W. Hanson wrote:
>Just a thought. Because a students study of voice is, basically, a
>one-on-one relationship with the teacher, it is of primary importance
>that the student be comfortable with that
>relationship.

Sage words, indeed, Lloyd; and I very much agreed with Karen's original
post, too. Yet, it seems to me that when we change teachers, we shouldn't
need to feel badly, or think bad thoughts, about the teacher we've left,
either about their intentions or their abilities as teachers. To me,
different "locks" require different "keys" to open the door to the student
and get the information in. IMO, just as there is no one correct way to
practice any craft, including medicine, there is no one correct way to teach
any given subject. I've only had two teachers, although I interviewed 3
others in the course of my studies, and am still very close friends with my
first teacher. I simply got to a point where I didn't feel I was
progressing as quickly in a couple of areas that were important to me. I've
made some significant progress with my new teacher, and yet, it was/is a
common occurance during my work with him that I came/come to realize what my
first teacher was trying to get me to do [ie. "Oh, THAT's what she meant."].
He just used a different set of keys than she did. And I still occasionally
refer prospective students to her. Afterall, their locks are different than
mine.

GWendel, dT

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16203 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)Lloyd W. Hanson   Fri  1/4/2002

emusic.com