Vocalist.org archive

From:  natural@w...
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  10:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "s" in Jesus

At 08:52 AM 05/15/2000 -0500, Melanie wrote:
>According to "Diction for Singers" (Wall,Gavilanes,Allen)
>
>The letter h is always silent in Latin, except for two irregular wods
>listed under Exceptions)
>
>Ho-san-na [open o zan: na]
>ho-di-e [open o di E]
>ho-mi-ni-bus [open o mi ni bus]
>
>Exceptions: In these two words, h is pronounced [k]. In ancient
>manuscripts these words were spelled nichel and michi.
>
>ni-hil [ni kil]
>mi-hi [mi ki]
>
>so that's what my all trusted diction book says......
>
> Melanie (new to list--first post-- thought I'd just right in!)

I have to admit, I'm stumped. I don't see how anyone could
publish such nonsense. I don't doubt there are choral traditions
that drop h's in latin, but all the choral recordings I've ever
heard of latin texts pronounce the h's.

I know for a fact that all h's were sounded in classical latin,
and I also know that the pronunciation of certain letters
changed in medieval times to agree with the pronunciations in
the vernacular languages. So it wouldn't surprise me that there
is an h-less choral tradition, perhaps in italy or france - and
those are the countries our singing teachers tend to emulate.

But to use words like "always" and to invent theories involving
ancient manuscripts supporting the position is way over the
line, imo - then again, latin was used in many places, and not
always well, so there could be some weird manuscripts out there.
I do know that the standard spellings mihi and nihil are
ancient, and the h was pronounced as an h, as it was pronounced
wherever it appeared.

So, I sense a great deal of intellectual dishonesty in that
book. I would chuck it - those authors are too disingenuous to
believe anything they say. Preferably in the fire, not in a used
book store where it could mislead others.

I've noticed that knowledge of foreign languages is getting so
scarce today - in america, that is - that writers and movie
producers can say literally whatever they want about languages,
making it up as they go along.

And, welcome to the list, Melanie! Thanks for jumping in :)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1622 Re: "s" in Jesus Leslie Jones   Mon  5/15/2000   2 KB
1626 Re: "s" in Jesus natural@w...   Tue  5/16/2000   3 KB
1640 Re: "s" in Jesus Isabelle Bracamonte   Tue  5/16/2000   2 KB

emusic.com