Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  8:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] different length vocal folds

In a message dated 1/3/2002 2:35:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, dredeman@w...
writes:

<< But imagine: since a beautiful tone is all about harmonics, a set of
of vocal chords that are harmonically assymetric, could be the means to
produce both a strong basic tone and a beautiful spectrum of higher
harmonics. In this way a voice could have both the clearness and
bell-quality of a lighter voice, and the warmth of a heavier voice, and
that's exactly what's the case with Katarina Karnéus >>

dre,

obviously, we're not all going to run out and have our vocal folds
surgically altered for that purpose but, the idea is interesting. i think
it is quite possible for heavier voices to retain warmth while having the
kind of clarity you are talking about. in fact, the ideal of 'chiaroscuro'
is exactly that, for all voices. but, it is interesting to think of this
being achieved at the level of the vibrator instead of the resonator.

in a kind of science fiction mood, i can't help wondering about the
effect placing various objects in one's mouth, while singing, would have.
of course, i can't imagine what these objects would be made of or, what
they'd be shaped like.

i'll have to check out ms, karneus.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16192 Re: different length vocal foldsDré de Man   Thu  1/3/2002

emusic.com