Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  6:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Some tips on dealing with an audience please!

Several people have expressed that in a classical
recital, speaking is not welcome or appropriate for
the most part. However, I frequently speak with the
audience, telling them the story behind the aria or
relating it to something they're familiar with or
telling a joke, and have received nothing but positive
feedback.

Most audience members don't speak the languages, and
while you may have program notes and translations, the
halls are usually too dark to read them during the
performance. This way people know what you're singing
about and can relate to it more. Of course, if I was
doing a song cycle, I might speak before I started but
wouldn't in between.

I think speaking with the audience also makes the
singer more approachable. Then again, perhaps the
whole point in classical singing is to be "the diva"?

Am I breaching some unwritten code of classical
conduct?

Jennifer, non-conformist in sheep's clothing