Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  3:11 pm
Subject:  Some tips on dealing with an audience please!: Toastmasters

In a message dated Wed, 2 Jan 2002 11:14:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
"drama_diva_au" <drama_diva_au@y...> writes>

> I used to be paralysed at the thought of public speaking. My personal
> solution was to accept the presidency of the Parents and Teachers
> Association at my daughter's school years ago. So as a teacher I can
> also recommend anything that makes you HAVE to get up and speak
> whether it be a Toastmasters Club (They are a public speaking, speech
> making organisation where, simply put, the whole purpose is to make
> speeches. Do you have them in the States?) or the local branch of
> Greenpeace, whatever floats you boat will do, as long as you are
> getting up and expressing yourself outside of singing.

Yes, we have Toastmasters in the States. I was an active member for a few
years. I recommend it highly to anyone looking to improve their confidence, and
it is a heck of a lot cheaper than a Dale Carnegie course. Everyone is there
for the same reason, so you don't have to feel shy. You get helpful feedback,
and pretty soon you are giving feedback to the others. Also, you can speak on
practically any topic you want. There are many clubs and each has its own
"personality," so I would recommend checking out a few. Guests are always
welcome, except at a few corporate clubs which are just for employees.
Merry

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16207 Re: Some tips on dealing with an audience please!Fiona Chow   Fri  1/4/2002

emusic.com