Vocalist.org archive

From:  "drama_diva_au" <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  4:40 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

As a teacher myself I couldn't disagree with you more Bart and I find
your tone somewhat hostile and insulting! I am not certain as to
whether you meant this to be tongue in cheek or not, but it certainly
did not come across this way.

What I got from Karen's post was the idea that if you are going
nowhere with your teacher (OVER TWO YEARS I believe was a time frame
mentioned) then it is time for a change. Advice which is sound even
if it is regrettably bad for the teachers hip pocket. Having students
that are not progressing is as frustrating and profligate for a
teacher as it is for a student.

I always strive to find different ways of communicating my point, and
am a diehard fan of the positive reinforcement school of teaching. I
refuse to focus on the negative. I find my students are experts at
that to start with, so there is no need for me to add to it. I prefer
to ALWAYS point out what is excellent and then go over what needs
improving, either with a current technique or if that isn't working
by trying something new.

This is what I percieved Karen to be discussing, not what I percive
you to be discussing and that is the sin of the indulgence of the
wealthy (for which you do make a valid point). I find it most
peculiar that you would choose this forum to give a sermon of that
nature.

And I would never, by inferrence or straight out give the impression
that I am a god that is infallible in my opinions and my students
should demur to my almighty knowledge. There is no way on earth that
any teacher anywhere can know what is the ONLY solution for a
student. It simply is not possible. Especially given that only the
individual can know what is best for them even if they are mistaken.

mercifully endowing you with such precious knowledge ! You can't be
master and disciple, or (cheer)leader and (cheered-up)follower at the
same time. So much for dillydallying !<<<<<

Arghk! I'm sorry, but this just makes me see red. For me, there is NO
PLACE in any discipline for this attitude. It is antiquated,
patriarchal and retrograde and everything that is wrong with
education. Welcome to the twenty first century, long may the positve
changes be embraced!

Peace Bart, peace. Please find a less inflamatory tone to address
these issues.

Or could it be that after being on this list for so long I find it
hard to see Karen, our resident repertoire genius, and all round
*nice guy* maligned in any way shape or form? ;-)

~Michelle

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16178 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)Bart   Thu  1/3/2002
16179 Re: Barytenore in B flatBart   Thu  1/3/2002
16183 Re: Changing TeachersLaura Ruiz   Thu  1/3/2002
16197 Re: Changing TeachersIsabelle Bracamonte   Fri  1/4/2002
16202 Re: Barytenore in B flatIan Belsey   Fri  1/4/2002

emusic.com