Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Thu Jan 3, 2002  2:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

Bart and list:
Methinks you need a bit of New Year's cheer - or something. Clearly Karen
said something which set you off, but I fail to see what.

Her post was clear and, to my reading, exhibited no "attitude" whatsoever.
My first teacher, likewise, booted me out. It was the right thing at the
right time. There often comes a time when student and teacher should part
and I see nothing unusual or improper about it. I find many teachers
lacking in the technical knowledge to fine-tune an advanced and
career-worthy voice. If both the teacher and the student recognize the
problem why shouldn't the student move on to another teacher?

Often times the teacher-student pairing is nothing more than the luck of the
draw. This is particularly true in the undergraduate music department in US
college music programs. Students are assigned to studios and rarely know
enough at the age of 17 or 18 to choose a teacher. Karen merely related an
experience. She said nothing which merited your untempered response.

regards,
Cindy Donnell