Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dré de Man <dredeman@w...>
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  10:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Regarding the Am I a tenor or bass-baritone question

Dear co-vocalisters

I think that in matters like this, there are huge individual
differences. Some people have extraordinary 'long' voices (a huge range)
and for them it is quite easy to sing different Fachs, so they really
can choose, although they still will have a Fach in which they sound
better than in another one.

More than a year ago I read an interview in BBC Music Magazine with a
beautifull sounding mezzo (Katarina Karnéus) who said that her huge
range was a result of the fact that her vocal chords were of different
lengths. I do have a recording of her (Berlioz, Les nuits d'été) and if
you listen well you can hear it clearly (at least via my Meridian
Cd-player and B&W 801 mk3 speakers;): it sounds as if someone has mixed
a very warm alt (female, of course) and a soprano. Her voice has an
enormous warmth and silkyness throughout her range. Caruso had something
simular in his voice, but I don't know whether anybody ever reported
something special about the length of his vocal chords.

When I find the time I'll try to make a spectral analysis of Karnéus.

beste greetings,

Dré

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16156 Re: Regarding the Am I a tenor or bass-baritone lolipastor@a...   Thu  1/3/2002