Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  11:28 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)

Also, while she was never discouraging, she was not exactly actively
ENcouraging either. My new teacher, by contrast, is the most wonderfully
encouraging person, who loves singers, loves vocal music, and is just
all
around optimistic and a great "cheerleader" for her students.
A good vocal pedagogue is NOT always a good
psychologist, and we voice students need the latter at least as much as
we
do the former!

My students have, on occasion, offered to buy me the "pom-poms" to go
with my "cheerleader" teaching attitude! Sometimes I wonder if my
optimism gets in the way of achieving vocal excellence, but I do
continue to strive for that too. I simply feel that it is my job to
teach the "whole person" not just the voice, since the voice cannot
exist in a vacuum, unaffected by other factors. I also think that an
optimistic attitude enables me to stay creative and to continue the
search for solutions to vocal problems and challenges that come up for
students. I'm very stubborn! I hate to ever give up on a problem or a
student! I am so glad to hear from another source (and one
whom I have learned to respect greatly over the years) that this kind of
teaching is valued by others too.

Sharon Szymanski
The Szymanski Studio - "encouraging excellence in the vocal
arts"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16167 Re: Changing teachers (was: Too many lines...)drama_diva_au   Thu  1/3/2002

emusic.com