Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 2, 2002  6:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Regarding the Am I a tenor or bass-baritone question

In a message dated 1/2/2002 1:10:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gwyee@r... writes:

<< I
think it boils down to whether one felt like the bearded "stabb-er" vs the
young tragic (sometimes whimpy) "stabb-ee". That may be a matter of
attitude, afterall. Personally, the "stabber" ought not to sound like a
tenor singing low; but maybe I'm just conditioned that way. As for "true
voice", I suspect that eventually the singer, himself, may be able to decide
that. It's where the voice feels the most flexible/free, although,
admittedly, that, too, can change with experience. >>

if one is looking for their optimum place to sing, it's clearly a process
of finding that area of the voice that is best (by whatever criteria the
individual might choose). but, there are some people who get bored with
doing what's best for them. alfredo kraus certainly had a much different
view in how he wanted things to be than does jose carerras who said he would
be bored singing only ten or twelve roles (check out the book 'divo'.
sorry, i can't remember the author's name). ramon vinay started as a
baritone, went to tenor and ended up singing bass.

if you compare the young frank sinatra to the old one, it seems that he
went from 'stabbee' to 'stabber'. his personality seems to have totally
changed if you compare his younger years to his later years and that seems to
have been very much reflected in his singing.

i experiment with lots of different ways of singing but, that is more in
support of my teaching. when it comes to my own singing, i pretty much
stick to my 'plain vanilla' voice.

mike

emusic.com