Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dale Gillespie" <bigtenordale@a...>
Date:  Tue Jan 1, 2002  8:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Regarding the Am I a tenor or bass-baritone question

Hi everyone, Happy New Year.

I haven't put in my $2 (inflation) worth in for quite a while. So here goes:

>I've heard there have been a number of people who believed you can sing
anything you wanted (tenor, bass, baritone) provided you found the right
attitude, which stems from a deep awareness of the mind-feeling-spirit world
within each of us.
It's like they say: "A register/color (ie. what we call tenor, bass, alto,
etc.)is the result of an attitude (conscious or not) and since attitudes can be
modified thru awareness so can registers/colors.<

That is the biggest load of crap I have ever read in my life. Who the hell said
this originally? I can't wait to see what the voice teachers out there have to
say. I am not a voice teacher, but I have been trained, and as far as my
training, and my body, (especially my body) tells me, is that you are either a
tenor, or a bass, or an alto, or a soprano, with possible elements of others in
there.

I am a Tenor, but I can comfortably sing high Baritone, partly in that I was
missdiagnosed as a Baritone in the first place, so that is where my initial
training was. But to say that I can sing Soprano or Alto just because I find the
right attitude is totally absurd. I have seen so many people on stage singing in
the wrong voice range and killing their voices it is not funny. (Especially when
you see them struggling with the notes and their whole face is turning red from
the effort) But then whoever originally said this would probably say they hadn't
achieved the right attitude.

Since becoming a member of Vocalist a couple of years ago I have become aware
(thru all you wonderful people) of so much vocal misinformation it is not funny.
Fortunatly there is always someone out there who puts it all straight again. But
this one I thnk has to take the cake and possibly the award for the best
missinformation of them all.

I will now anxiously sit back to read the comments on this subject from all you
wonderful people who know what you are doing.

Bye for now and
HAPPY 2002 and a belated
MERRY CHRISTMAS from
Santa Dale.