Vocalist.org archive

From:  natural@w...
Date:  Mon May 15, 2000  3:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] "S" in Jesus poll results!

At 08:52 AM 05/15/2000 -0400, Laura Sharp wrote:
>And my favorite!:
>
> >From Ian Belsey: "Just to let you know about your 's' in Jesus. I consulted
>a priest friend of mine and he told me that it made absolutely no difference
>whether you voice the 's' or not!"

one last thought: In many regional variants of Spanish, final
-s tends to be dropped. I'm guessing that your church has lots
of Latin-Americans in it... right? So they tend to pronounce
latin as though it were spanish and drop the -s. For comprehension
of latin per se, dropping final letters has an effect similar to
that of randomly reordering a sentence in english - you lose the
ability to tell what's what - but for ecclesiastical purposes, many
people just want the magnificence and don't care about the meaning.

emusic.com