Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Dec 28, 2001  11:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone?

In a message dated 12/28/2001 6:04:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gwyee@r... writes:

<< A voice teacher
once told me that baritones are the most confusing voices. The designation
seems to encompass such a very wide range of voices with qualities of both
tenor and bass. >>

gwendel,

i think it is easier to call the extremes by an obvious label as there is
simply nowhere else to go. to try to calibrate every voice in between under
one simplistic label like 'baritone', to me, is utterly absurd and,
completely unnecessary. but, this is what the world of classical singing
seems determined to do.

mike

ps. anticipating the obvious point about fachs, the continued use of 'fachs'
perpetuates the notion of trying to 'notch' voices.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
16067 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone?Ian Belsey   Sat  12/29/2001

emusic.com