Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "vivaelcanto" <josegerardo@i...>
"vivaelcanto" <josegerardo@i...>
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  5:30 pm
Subject:  Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone?

Dear All

I have a question that some of you might have as well.

My first teacher told me (this will sound crazy) that I would make a
nice bass or a nice tenor but not a baritone as I didn't have the
character for it. This was, as you can imagine, utterly confusing.

My current teacher believes I'm a baritone and my coach, who is very
experienced and works for a major opera house in England, believes
I'm a bass-baritone. My tessitura is between Ab1 to F#3 being my
passagio note around Eb3 or E3 . I feel comfortable singing things
like Mozart's Figaro or Leporello, Escamillo from Carmen, etc. I
feel happy with this because I have a sense of who I am vocally.

My confusion comes when I read about voices in speech and their
relationship with singing voices. I read that baritones' conversation
pitch is around A1 and bass's around F1 while that of tenors is
around D2. My conversation pitch is around D2 which would put me in
the tenor category. Then I say to myself. Maybe I am a dark tenor
after all and I've made everybody believe I'm a bass-baritone because
I'm overdarkening my voice, something I shouldn't be doing.

Do you really believe there is an absolute relationship between
spoken and singing voices as I outlined above? Are there any
exceptions to this rule?

Thank you all

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
16062 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? nicktenor@a...   Fri  12/28/2001   2 KB
16063 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? GWendel Yee   Fri  12/28/2001   5 KB
16064 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? Greypins@a...   Fri  12/28/2001   2 KB
16067 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? Ian Belsey   Sat  12/29/2001   2 KB
16065 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? lolipastor@a...   Fri  12/28/2001   2 KB
16071 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? Margaret Harrison   Sat  12/29/2001   3 KB
16073 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? GWendel Yee   Sun  12/30/2001   2 KB
16074 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? John Link   Sun  12/30/2001   2 KB
16091 Re: Am I a tenor or a bass-baritone? Jennifer   Mon  12/31/2001   2 KB

emusic.com