Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Dec 28, 2001  4:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] new years music? any suggestions?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Dolphin aura wrote:

> i was told to sing 2-4 songs and my choice but i want
> at least one to be a church new years song...
> please help...
> --- Dolphin aura <dolphin_aura@y...> wrote:
> --- Dolphin aura <dolphin_aura@y...> wrote:
> > I have been invited to sing at a midnight new years
> > church service. I was wondering what would be
> > appropriate to sing?

Thomas Marsom's hymn, "May this new year" is an obvious choice. For more
information on it: http://www.beswick.info/rclresources/MarsomNYHymn.htm

Anna Waring's hymn "Sunlight of the heavenly day" (Hymn #30 of her HYMNS
AND MEDITATIONS) was written specifically for New Year's Day.

John Wesley's "Eternal Source of Every Joy", written for New Year's (it's
hymn #978 in the Methodist hymnal).

The Shaker hymn "The Glad New Year" (see
http://www.rememberjosie.org/xmas/s5751.html)

"God Bless the Master of this House", an English carol, was sung
traditionally by mummers in England outside people's houses on New Year's
Day. Don't know if it's sacred enough for your purposes - it falls
somewhere in between a hymn and a wassail song.

A more recent composition is Carlton Young's New Beginnings, composed as a
setting for Brian Wren's New Year's hymn of that name.

A setting of the Te Deum is often sung on New Year's Eve or New Year's
day. Also keep in mind that New Year's Day is also the day when the Feast
of the Circumcision is celebrated.

Some further possibilities are provided by the CyberHymnal at:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/top/newyear.htm

Hymns.com has a whole list of suggested hymns to be sung on the first
Sunday after Christmas, some of which might be appropriate:
http://www.hymnsite.com/lection/cch4.htm

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com