Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Thu Dec 27, 2001  2:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Three schools in London

Funny - the more things change....

I did a great deal of research into the state of the performing arts -
and particularly vocal and solo instrumental music (piano, violin) in
London just before the Great War, including a great deal of reading about
the "rival" music schools - the RCM and the RAM. The impression one got
from reading first-hand accounts by pupils then, and second-hand accounts
by critics and historians, was that the RAM was always something of the
"also ran" school for students who couldn't get into the RCM: also good,
but not nearly as good as the Royal College.

Reading between the lines on the posts here, I get the sense that this may
still be the case. Well, England is a country that loves its
traditions.... :)

Karen Mercedes
Who has always been tickled by the fact that so much of Gustav Holst's
career was spent teaching singing to young girls in Hammersmith.

http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com