Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sun May 14, 2000  9:24 pm
Subject:  Re: venetian dialect

Dear list,

Well here it is; it is less than I thought, but I
think it should do.
I had to translate it because it was in French, but
these six rules are all Hahn thinks you need. The
second one I don't understand, because
that seems to be the normal Ialian pronunciation, but
maybe he wrote it from the French point of view.

e should be pronunciated as 'a' (as in babe)
u ................. 'oe' (as in 'shoe')
xe ............... 'za' ('z' + 'a' as in babe)
c............... in front of an i: as the English 'c'
l ........ between two vowels: should hardly be heard
('y' as in 'eye', but much softer)
g in front of an e: 'y'+'a' as in babe

If you go to
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/
and go to the composer's index, search for Hahn, then
for the cd Souvenirs de Venise, then click on Il
Barchetto, you can also hear it.

Success

P.S. Thanks to all the people that wished me success,
that was on the morning of my concert, so it was
really nice.

Best greetings,

Dre.