Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Tue Dec 18, 2001  8:52 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] more on my request for Irish-themed music

>The suggested Ireland-tinged music should be:
>
>1. NOT opera
>2. NOT folk/traditional music, rock, pop
>3. NOT for soprano accompanied by a variety of instruments (one in
>addition to piano might be ok)
>4. NOT folk song arrangements, or melodies that would require the touch of
>an arranger to work right
>
>It may be:
>
>1. music to Irish poetry (preferably to be sung in English)
>2. music by an Irish composer
>3. music whose text addresses Irish themes
>4. music that incorporates traditional Irish melodies into a "composed"
>classical idiom
>
>And please continue to keep in mind that I am a light, high soprano!

Naomi:
How about "the Irish Book" by Richard Johnson, published by Waterloo
Music. It is a set of four songs with texts by Seumas O'Sullivan and
Arthur O'Shaughnessy. The songs are not a cycle as the only connection
is that the texts are by Irish writers. There are some unifying
elements in the accompaniments that bind the group when used as a set of
songs, but the songs can be sung individually. They were commissioned
by the CBC for Lois Marshall. There are also the Hughes Irish folk song
settings, many of them quite lovely and worthy of a look. If you're
interested in the Johnson, e-mail me privately and we'll talk!
Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com