Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Tue Dec 18, 2001  7:49 pm
Subject:  more on my request for Irish-themed music

Dear Vocalisters,

My humblest apologies: my assumptions are showing!

I should have specified in my original request that I am a
classically-trained singer, and that the type of music I'm seeking should
fall roughly within the boundaries of classical music. The concert will be
unamplified voice and piano, and the rest of the program will be art song,
ranging from the standard Faure, Schubert, etc. to some new works by living
American composers.

Let me amend my original request, then, with the following specifications.
The suggested Ireland-tinged music should be:

1. NOT opera
2. NOT folk/traditional music, rock, pop
3. NOT for soprano accompanied by a variety of instruments (one in
addition to piano might be ok)
4. NOT folk song arrangements, or melodies that would require the touch of
an arranger to work right

It may be:

1. music to Irish poetry (preferably to be sung in English)
2. music by an Irish composer
3. music whose text addresses Irish themes
4. music that incorporates traditional Irish melodies into a "composed"
classical idiom

And please continue to keep in mind that I am a light, high soprano!

I realize that this list of criteria may eliminate your favorite piece.
It's not that I have anything against your favorite piece; it's just that
I'm trying to accomplish a specific function with the music I choose. The
pickiness of my criteria will also probably preclude a long fancy list of
hundreds of pieces; that's ok. What I'm hoping for is that people will
think through the music they know and say "AHA!" about one particular piece
that would sound lovely in a light (think Barbara Bonney) voice in the
context of a small, quirky art song recital -- and would put listeners in
mind of Ireland in some way.

Thank you ever so much!
Naomi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15976 Re: more on my request for Irish-themed music Craig Tompkins   Tue  12/18/2001   3 KB
15978 Re: more on my request for Irish-themed music sopran@a...   Tue  12/18/2001   2 KB
15979 Re: more on my request for Irish-themed music Karen Mercedes   Tue  12/18/2001   2 KB
16023 Re: more on my request for Irish-themed music Leo Morgan   Mon  12/24/2001   2 KB

emusic.com