Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Sheila Graham" <sheilagraham@b...>
"Sheila Graham" <sheilagraham@b...>
Date:  Tue Dec 18, 2001  10:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: REP: non-cliche Irish songs for soprano

Hi List,

Kirsty wrote (on the subject of non-cliche Irish songs):-

Then there's the BLACK VELVET BAND which is
great but may fall into your category of "cliché" but isn't
as "chlichéd" as THE WILD ROVER, DIRTY OLD TOWN etc...

Dirty Old Town Irish? Oh dear me, no. It was written by Ewan MacColl,
English but with strong Scottish connections, about Salford, a town in the
industrial north of England.

I know the Pogues have recorded it, but so have many other people. (It was
written by MacColl in 1949, when he was involved with Theatre Workshop.)

Someone has previously suggested 'My Lagan Love' - excellent idea, it's not
easy to sing, suits a soprano voice, and I think would work if sung
'straight'.By that I mean not sung in the traditional Irish style, which has
extensive vocal ornamentation. (I'm assuming the original singer is not used
to singing in the traditional Irish way, as she would then presumably know
the repertoire well enough not to be asking for help.)

Regards,

Sheila

Sheila Graham
Mezzo-Soprano, Edinburgh, Scotland

www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

'She is a singer, and therefore capable of anything' (Bellini)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15964 Re: REP: non-cliche Irish songs for soprano arado_ge   Tue  12/18/2001   2 KB
15965 Re: REP: non-cliche Irish songs for soprano arado_ge   Tue  12/18/2001   3 KB

emusic.com